

**WALKERTOWN FESTIVAL COMMITTEE MEETING**  
**JUNE 13, 2022; 4:00 P.M. @ TOWN HALL**  
**MINUTES**

Present: Randy Mendenhall, Marilyn Martin, Wesley Hutchins, Debra Garland, Vernon Brown, Scott Snow and Rusty Sawyer.

**CALL TO ORDER**

Randy calls the meeting to order @ 4:00.

- **DETERMINATION OF QUORUM:** Yes
- **APPROVAL OF AGENDA**
- **APPROVAL OF MINUTES**

**BUSINESS AT HAND**

**Discussion of Event Details**

Cap free food truck booths at 6.

Rusty: 3 have turned in applications and 3 others replied yes by email but haven't returned their applications.

Rusty: The Special Occasion Band still hasn't committed to play.

I called "Different Drummer Inc." about "The Band of Oz". I know we can't afford the Band of Oz but they handle other bands. David Hicks said he had 3 bands that we would like. They are supposed to contact me by Friday.

Committee decides to go forward with a Baking Competition.

Pies, Cakes, Cookies and Homemade Bread. Prizes same as last year.

Deborah: I am considering writing a letter to the art teachers on town letterhead.

Judges: Alana, Marilyn and Paula.

Rusty: The blacksmith is coming again this year. \$300.

Randy: I am still waiting on the banners.

Scott: We will put up the pole banners in September.

Committee decides to skip the July meeting and meet on the 2<sup>nd</sup> Monday in August.

**5/9/22**

Randy: How many vendors so far?

Rusty: 15 so far. Usually we have 35 by now.

Randy: Is that counting food vendors? I know you said you had some food trucks coming.

Rusty: Yes. We have 5 food trucks coming.

Rusty: We have: HOTDOG HIDEAWAY, CHICKEN & WINGS, WUTYASAYFT,  
LOBSTER DOGS, PUPUSAS & TACOS

Still no commitment from Gary Warren & the SOB's.

Scott: Try asking the Kernersville Chamber of Commerce.

Peggy: Try contacting the cloggers.

Doc: Also, Harry Brown with the Fire Academy.

Rusty: REVO church asked if they could sponsor the inflatables.

Doc: They would have to carry insurance.

Peggy: I'll pay for the "Friends of the Library".

**3/14/22**

Scott: We need to set a date and time.

*Committee agrees to:*

Have a one day festival this year which will save money.

Saturday, October 15

10am to 5pm

Vendors \$35.00

Power \$15

Food Vendors \$60, free to the 1<sup>st</sup> six food trucks

Raise Music budget from \$5K to \$6K

- See if SOB has an opening band that they like working with to play @ 12 - 12:45
- SOB 2:00 – 4:45

Todd will have people manning the barricades.

At least one deputy at the Post Office.

Could have Jason work Saturday, maybe add a hustle deputy?

No hand washing stations. Use hand sanitizer.

No port-a-johns.

One water holding tank.

Close roads at 7am.

Contact Denise about Alpaca's.

Contact Blacksmith.

Randy: The old signs are worn out and need to be replaced. I'll take care of replacing them.

We'll need 3 signs for Hardees, 311/66, and 158/66 intersections.

Also, 11 small signs.

The NASCAR man sold his truck. The new owner lives too far away to come.

I'll get the inflatables.

Baking contest volunteers.

Marilyn & Peggy offer to do the Baking Contest.

- Turn cakes in at the Blue Roof House by 5:00
- Judging at 6:00. We'll get the judges.

Art Contest

Deborah will contact the school art teachers (4) and pick up the art.

- 3 judges – Alana, Paula and ? (not doc)
- First \$30, second \$25, third \$20 Mayor's Choice \$30
- All participants get the award certificate

**7/12/21**

Randy: How are we doing for vendors?

Rusty: 13 so far. Well behind our usual turnout. We normally are in the 30's by now.

Randy: Any food trucks yet?

Rusty: No. I emailed 12 with little response. All the food truck owners that came 2 years ago have sold their trucks. The only food vendor so far is the Civic Club.

Scott: I'll get with Daniel to change the dates on the banners.

Rusty: The blacksmith is coming. I haven't heard back from Denise about the alpacas.

Randy: The inflatables & NASCAR are coming.

Committee decides to use all booths if needed. Also, to not order hats, sweatshirts etc. and just sell what's left at the town's booth.

Close roads at 7:00am.

Talk to Todd about adding helpers.

No August meeting. Met again on September 13<sup>th</sup>.

**MOTION: TO ADJOURN AT 4:42 PM**

**BY: MARILYN MARTIN**

**SECOND: WESLEY HUTCHINS**

**VOTE: UNANIMOUS**

Next meeting will be AUGUST 8<sup>th</sup>, 2022 (2nd Monday of the month) @ 4:00 @ Town Hall

Submitted by Rusty Sawyer

Town Clerk